History of Memphis Alumnae Chapter

(formerly Alpha Gamma Sigma)

Five women of vision chartered the Alpha Gamma Sigma Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in 1935. These visionary members were:

  • Radie Broome (Clark) from Howard University
  • Cecelia Irwin (Story) and Wilona Nicholson from Fisk University
  • Juanita Lois Perkins (Brinkley) from Clark College
  • Hilda Carter Smith from Wilberforce University

Upon the chapter’s establishment, Florence Cole Talbert McCleave became its sixth member.

Graduate chapters became known as Alumnae chapters in 1956 after the 24th National Convention. It was then that we became known as Memphis Alumnae Chapter.

Today, Memphis Alumnae has grown from five members in 1935 to over six hundred (600) financial members and is the initiating chapter for approximately 600 sorors. Over thirty-five (35) different chapters of initiation have been represented among the members of the chapter at various times. There are over one-thousand plus (1000+) Deltas in the Memphis area.

Four chapters have been established under the care of Memphis Alumnae Chapter.

  • Epsilon Kappa at Memphis State University (University of Memphis) - 1963
  • Theta Pi at Rust College (Holly Springs, MS) - 1971
  • Holly Springs-Marshall County Alumnae - 1979
  • Rho Gamma at Rhodes and Christian Brothers University - 1989

Each of these chapters has made notable contributions in the community.

   

MAC Member Login

   

Upcoming Events

No events
   

Like Us On Facebook

   

FaceBook FanBox